Making the best possible match between Little and Big is critical to the growth and development of a child. But before we begin the matching process, we start by thoroughly screening potential Bigs.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mid-Florida requires each volunteer to complete an extensive screening process that includes:
- Completion of a formal written application
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry screening
- Review of any arrests or warnings issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Reference checks
- An in-person interview
- Home assessment (community-based only)
- An orientation and training process that outlines the individualized needs of your child and provides information and resources on how to encourage your child’s development
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mid-Florida also provides child safety tips to you and your child, and we welcome your questions and feedback. Throughout the life of the match, our professional staff will be in ongoing communication with you, your child, and your child’s Big. It’s the best way to build a strong relationship that will have the greatest impact on your child’s future success.